[talk-ph] Tagging convention: names for city, municipal and barangay halls

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 17:25:08 BST 2011

Hi Gerry,

My personal preference is to place the POI name of the city or
municipality in the poblacion or downtown area instead of where the
city hall or the municipal hall is.

Here's an example: Puerto Princesa

Here is where the (new) Puerto Princesa City Hall is:
http://osm.org/go/4nF87C4s-

Here is where the downtown area is (and where the name of the city is
placed): http://osm.org/go/4nF56xnE-?m

As you can see, they are located far apart.

I think it makes more sense to place the name of the city close to
where all the center of activity is, and that's usually the downtown
or poblacion, or the central business district. In rural areas, that's
usually where the town plaza is, surrounded by the church and public
market, and the municipal hall (if the municipal government hasn't
decided to move the town hall to a less congested area).

Eugene