[talk-ph] Caviteño: Is Antero Soriano Highway a really major highway?

Rally de Leon ralleon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 18:15:57 BST 2011

the high volume of traffic on Soriano says it's a trunk, but is it true that
the traffic there is also very slow? If you can rarely reach an the average
speed 40kmh, then maybe just another busy 'primary city road' that connects
a few towns & cities. (we can't say the same for Metro Manila to qualify for
trunk road).

If you look at it in isolation, Soriano highway is not long enough to
connect the province from end-to-end or doesn't function like bringing
traffic from one region/province to another. (unlike Aguinaldo Hway &
Governor's Drive, which terminate either to another province or to the
coastline, or crosses provincial boundaries).

Unless we interpret Soriano Hway as part of series of connected system of
roads, eg. a continuation of CAVITEX which connects to NCR, or sort of a
loop that connects back to Governor's Drive. Try zooming out (when all
primary roads start to disappear, as I see it in a garmin map); it will show
that Cavitex logically needs a 'provincial road' to terminate to (or to
connect to...) Then it can be a trunk

my opinion is 50:50, we go either way (trunk or primary).

Now consider a tree. If you cut its trunk, everything on top of it will
die.The trunk serves as the main conduit of water & nutrients from roots to
all the branches and all the way to the topmost leaves & twigs.

What will happen to Metro Manila if Guadalupe Bridge (part of EDSA), or that
bridge in C-5 connecting Pasig to Makati collapse? chaos! goods coming from
the NLEX or SLEX can't get through. Metro Manila will virtually be divided.
Or imagine cutting Manila East Road or Ortigas Ave Ext in Rizal, or Halsema
Highway in the Cordillera? you kill the provincial industries.

The Caviteno's can answer the same question: if we cut Soriano Hiway, what
happens to the Cavite province? If Cavite can survive without it (even with
minor or major inconveniences of going around a similar alternate road),
then it's not a trunk road. Or what will happen to the future volume traffic
of CAVITEX if we close Soriano Hway?