[talk-ph] ideas for tracking stepjuan's journey (Fwd: STEPJUAN Bai: A walking expedition for Children with Cancer)

Andre Marcelo-Tanner andre at enthropia.com
Sat Mar 5 13:27:02 GMT 2011

Well what can he carry, a GPS logger is easy to carry and runs fine on
batt but it only logs, so what possible device can be used to log and
upload at the same time
or if it just logs, how often can an upload be done?

Once you have something which can upload, you just figure out how to
display the logs online using a website or a 3rd party service.

Something like Sportstracklive or its competitors let you track yourself
live using a phone or similar device and display it live online, the
problem with constant upload is the battery drain, and well GPRS charges
but im sure an 1200 unlimited 3G subscription might offset that.

I know the developer of sportstracklive, he's a foreigner living the
philippines.

It's cool for live tracking as longs its not a security issue, and allow
people to comment or alert people as he passes by certain areas.

I know he walks during the day, is there a mobile device charges solar
unit :) or a really low powered GPS + 3g unit + solar power charger, or
some dynamo that will charge the phone as he walks :)