[talk-ph] Wanting to learn and contribute

miles amenabe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 17:06:10 GMT 2012

Hi!

I've been lurking quietly on this list for quite a time now and I enjoy
reading your posts every now and then. Although, I am not a consumer of
OpenStreetMaps, I do appreciate the contributions you shared.

I live in Guihulngan--- just recently hit by the 6.9 magnitude quake. I
previously recognized that there is not much of mapping data in our area
and this is one of the reasons why I joined the list, but the lack of
knowledge and equipment kept me to just lurk hoping that in the long run I
can learn something from your conversations.

The recent tragedy compelled me to act. Had there been a map, it would be
easier to pinpoint locations.

In this regard, I want to ask guidance from the list on how to start and
contribute to mapping (Philippine setting). I am currently in Bahrain where
my job is and I have no prior experience in mapping but I know my interest
will take me there. I know a few programming languages and understand
servers and clients and (sort of) comfortable with Freebsd and Linux in
addition to Windows and the concept of "opensource" community-driven
projects.

My goal is to learn as much as I can while here (abroad), buy
not-so-expensive-but-rigid-enough equipment that I can take home during my
vacation (hopefully in August this year) and that I can use to spark
interest and share the knowledge and fun with others.

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Best regards,

Miles
What have you done to clean (up) this dirty world?