[talk-ph] Wanting to learn and contribute

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 23:29:45 GMT 2012

Hi Miles,

I hope that all of your family, friends, and neighbors are safe in Guihulngan.

As for mapping, as you've said, there is no satellite imagery in your
city from which we can trace roads and other features in OSM. (The
EO-1 imagery discussed in December has a low resolution.) So the best
bet to increase the map data is via the traditional OSM way of
gathering GPS tracks. Since you are currently in Bahrain, obviously
that is not possible at the moment.

What you can do is to practice gathering GPS data and editing the data
in Bahrain itself. I think you can buy a simple GPS logger in Bahrain
then learn how to use the equipment there. Then you can try out how to
use the GPS tracks to edit stuff in Bahrain.

Thus, when you return home to Negros, you can then use your experience
to map Guihulngan.

Maybe you can also talk to Noel. He's the only person I know on this
mailing list who lives closest to Guihulngan, in San Carlos City.

Hope this helps. And maybe other people can provide other solutions. :)

Eugene