[talk-ph] Wanting to learn and contribute

Mark Cupitt markcupitt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 23:39:49 GMT 2012

Hi Miles, i live in Dumaguete. There is another mapping initiative called
roadguide.ph i originally found osm when checking this mapping group out.
They have extensive data on most of the philippines and the way they got
started was basically a bunch of people with gps units mounted to
moterbikes who just rode eveywhere.

Unfortunately, they only provide their data in the newer garmin compressed
format which knocks out all the older gps units around.

It would be great if the data was able to be shared, but unfortunateky, i
do not think this will happen.

The quickest and easiest way to get tracks is to miunt a gps unit on a
moterbike, grab a packed lunch and go ride. When looking at a gps unit,
look for one that has significant track memory for a days driving. You will
also need to note street names, etc and points of interest.

Have a look on the osm site,  i cannot remembe exactly where, there is a
list of software that is free that does all this, and may be a better
option for you

Cheers
Mark