[talk-ph] Possible Scarborough Shoal edit war?

ianlopez ian_lopez_1115 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 02:39:16 BST 2012

Re:"adopt the tag or just be firm in asserting our claim to panatag shoal and tag it as PH territory"

I believe that we should adopt the On the Ground Rule [1] on this one. I'm not sure about the relevant laws of the other claimants but we have a law stating that Scarborough is part of Philippine territory[2].

I just hope that the current edit war won't spread to the Kalayaan Group of Islands. If that happens, then it won't be long before we take this matter to the Data Working Group.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disputes#On_the_Ground_Rule
[2] Section 2b, Republic Act 9522

------------------------------
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 1:00 AM SGT Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:

>The saga continues...
>
>A new, presumably, Chinese user did his first edit:
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/11792728
>
>The comment on the changeset is (translated using Google): "Huangyan
>Island is Chinese territory"
>

>On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM, tutubi
><tutubi at backpackingphilippines.com> wrote:
>> question: should we adopt the tag or just be firm in asserting our claim to panatag shoal and tag it as PH territory?
>>
>> :)
>>

>> Sent from my Nokia 5110, made in Finland!
>>
>> On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:12 AM, maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Mike Collinson added the tag is_in:country=disputed_territory when he
>> imported GNS names [0], should we add this (or a modified version) in
>> Scarborough?
>>
>> [0] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/302105933
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Well, there's no edit war going on yet, but there's someone from China
>>> who did the following changesets:
>>>
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/11769249
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/11769301
>>>
>>> The first changeset removed the Philippine boundary enclosing the
>>> shoal previously set by Ian Lopez, and changed default name of the
>>> shoal itself to Chinese: "黄岩岛" (which means "Huangyan Island"). The
>>> second changeset added the following tag: note="菲佣去死!!!!!!", which
>>> Google translate doesn't seem to do a good job of translating but
>>> seems to be an insult to Filipina maids, I think. :-/
>>>
>>> Anyway, I've fixed the name tagging of the shoal so that the default
>>> name is "Scarborough Shoal", which is the neutral international name.
>>> The complete name tags are the following:
>>>
>>> INTERNATIONAL:
>>> name:en = Scarborough Shoal
>>> alt_name = Scarborough Reef
>>>
>>> CHINESE: