[talk-ph] SOTM 2012 feedback

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat Sep 15 10:38:19 BST 2012

Andre's observations are pretty much the same ones I would make, and in
much more detail. One other thing to understand is the topology of
international connections to the Philippines. It looks as though ALL
cable heads go into Luzon island: Batangas (APCN-2, EAC-C2C, SeaMeWe-3),
Cavite (EAC-C2C), Nagsugbu (Southeast Asia Japan Cable), Currimao
(Asia-America Gateway Cable System), Ballesteros (Tata TGN-Intra Asia),
Daet (Asia Submarine-cable Express (ASE)). The last one, ASE, is the one
that opened in August and significantly boosts capacity.  It connects to
directly to Hong Kong,  Singapore and Japan.

Andre also asks the important question, what is actually needed? Here
are my suggestions as to key factors and possible answers:

1) Reducing latency for general mapping for as many Filipinos as possible.

It looks as though all Philippine mapper's traffic would get routed
through a network in or around Metro Manila no matter what.  Therefore
from a latency point of view alone, and assuming PLDT routing, um,
peculiarities, could be resolved then Manila would be the best place to
put a server. A close second would be Hong Kong ... and might be better
as per Eugene's point.

2) Be able to keep running in the event of a natural calamity (if the
community feels this is an important function to have).

Here, key risk are: the data centre gets hit; connection to the data
centre gets hit; international connection(s) get hit.  From that
perspective, it is perhaps best to keep the server outside the country
as there are enough geographically separate international cable heads to
have a low probability that all international connectivity goes down at
once.  Hong Kong is seismically stable and infrastructure is built to
withstand super-typhoons. I assume the same for Singapore.

3) Be in a well run data centre with good connectivity at the lowest cost.

As a spiritual Illocano :-), (I am a UK Yorkshireman, which is almost
the same thing),  I indeed always put things in the US. Cheap and plenty
of support.  The USA is probably too far away for this application, but
Rackspace in Hong Kong looks interesting. The alternative might be a
sweet-heart deal in Manila, perhaps at a call centre??

4) Foster a technical community.

To answer Eugene's point about no one in the OSMPH community is
experienced enough with running and maintaining a server.  I see that as
actually part of the point of the exercise, to be able to provide a
foundation for that to grew.  From that perspective, Metro Manila would
be good location if physical access were a possibility. A university
perhaps?  If physical access is not available, then it doesn't really
matter where the server is as long as you can ssh into it and have
reasonably low-cost support for hardware adjustments and in the event
that restarts and the like do not work.

Hope that helps discussion,
Mike