[talk-ph] SOTM 2012 feedback

andre at enthropia.com andre at enthropia.com
Sat Sep 15 08:48:02 BST 2012

Hi guys,

Just happened to read this digest when I saw this.
I am not an expert on the local internet infrastructure but from the
people I have talked to, what I understand is, PLDT owns it all and
anyone else gets routed out of the country first before coming back in.
There is a service of PLDT called invitro where PLDT is directly
connected to all local ISPs. It's not cheap to say the least. If you
want to figure out the logistics and pricing I can put you in touch with
Wilson Chua who runs a datacenter here and Bitstop Networking Solutions.

Is there an actual connection issue with loading the FR server. What is
the latency from various ISPs here in the Philippines? Could it be
resolved by running on Amazon Web Services from Singapore? Or perhaps
renting physical servers from Rackspace in Hong Kong?

Would we want to do it the NGO way via working out a partnership with
Smart/PLDT/ or Globe or go at it the retail customer way and asking for
the best discount possible. Lots of scenarios are possible but what is
actually needed?

Regards,
Andre