[talk-ph] Meetup with OSM-PH community for the "Participatory mapping and LGU decision support tools for Disaster Risk Reduction" Project

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 09:50:39 UTC 2013

Dear everyone,

tl;dr
It was great event! 11 people joined and I am personally happy to meet new
people whom I see only as usernames in the OSM editors (JOSM, P2 and iD)
Photos in FB:

Here's the summary of our notes thanks to feye and dianne for compiling. :)

=============
Attendees

   - Rally De Leon
   - Eugene Villar
   - Erwin Olario
   - Miguel Martin Menez
   - Ervin Malicdem
   - Vanessa Malicdem
   - John Ernest Caliwag
   - Leonard Doyle
   - Maning Sambale
   - Feye Andal
   - Dianne Bencito

   - Photos - ​
   https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151727536452597.1073741825.345455082596&type=3

Discussion and agreements Brief introduction about ESSC

Maning introduced the Environmental Science for Social Change (ESSC) which
the WorldBank has partnership on *Participatory Mapping and LGU decision
support tools for DRR*.

ESSC is a Jesuit research institution engaged in local, national and
regional research and dialogue that contribute to an understanding and
sustainability of community-based environmental management through the
development of a "science for social change".

ESSC's approach to environmental mapping makes significant contribution to
building people's capacities to collectively manage and plan towards an
improvement of their way of life through a more responsive management of
the environment.

Sevaral mapping related project of ESSC includes: Marikina Watershed,
Community Mapping, IPs (Bukidnon Pulangiyen), FOSS-Geo Training, Forest
cover monitoring.
Project Overview (WorldBank-ESSC Partnership)

Maning presented the ESSC_WB partnership entitled *Participatory Mapping
and LGU decision support tools for DRR*

The project is a six month project focusing on providing capacity to local
government units to "prepare/formulate risk-sensitive land-use plans,
structural audits of public infrastructure and disaster contingency plans."

The LGUs need access to hazard and risk data through user friendly tools
for analyzing this information for specific decisions.

Major Objectives are:

   - support growth of OSM
   - support customization of InaSAFE (impact assessment)

Activities and Components:

   - Developing tools and learning materials. Training materials will be
   largely based on the www.learnosm.org.
   - Trainings to 5 LGUs and other local partners. The target LGUs are:
   (Candaba, Guagua, Lubao in Pampanga; Calamba, Bay, Santa Cruz in Laguna).
      - This is not yet final since we need to secure approval from the
      DILG and the respective LGU leaders.
      - ESSC is also looking for local OSM volunteers (trainors) who can
      help in conducting the training (email ​emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com if
      you are interested)
   - Sharing, distribution and maintenance of data.
   - Build and nurture partnerships and collaborations.
      - ESSC is open to interested groups or individuals to participate in
      the project.
   - Sharing project outcomes to the public.
      - Related to OSM-PH, we have committed to co-organize small OSM-PH
      community events. Our QC office can accommodate small events for OSM-PH.

The slides are here: ​
http://www.slideshare.net/esambale/essc-osmph-wbproject
Issues raised/comments

   - *On the flooding in Candaba, Pampanga*. Ernest mentioned that the
   flooding in Candaba is partly due to water coming from upstream towns of
   Bulacan (san Miguel and Dona Remedios Trinidad). Ernest is from San Miguel
   and has contacts with the current LGU leaders. It would be good to
   coordinate and share some aspects of the project to San Miguel so that they
   can also participate if possible. Ernest agreed to initiate the
   coordination.

   - *On the lack of active marketing within OSM-PH community to expand
   user base.* Unlike other community mapping projects (G MapMaker), OSM-PH
   doesn't do intensive PR and the "marketing" of OSM in the Philippines rely
   mostly on word-of-mouth. This is understandable since being volunteer group
   we don't have any dedicated marketing arm. Related to ESSC's project, we
   will try provide regular updates in our website to support the marketing
   aspect. If others have ideas on how we can spread the word even more,
   let's discuss.

   - *On encouraging the use of local language in the OSM-PH
mailinglist.*This talk-ph mailinglist is very much EN language
centric. Maning proposes
   that we encourage the use of other local language to encourage LGUs to post
   and ask questions. EN maybe intimidating to some people and maybe one
   reason very few newbies are posting. The group agreed that this is OK
   and should be encouraged.

   - *On additional tags for roads that is used by LGUs.* LGUs interested
   in using OSM data and they are trying to make sense of our road
   classification scheme. OSM road tagging is mostly by function (motorway,
   trunk, primary, secondary, oneway, etc.) and physical characteristics
   (unpaved, concrete, etc). Most LGUs categorize road by administrative
   jurisdiction (i. e. national road, provincial road, municipal road). There
   were previous discussion in this list related to this (​
   http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2012-May/003974.html)
   The group agreed to adopt the designation=* tag to incorporate the LGU
   categories For example, highway=primary, designation=provincial.

  However, looking at the above list discussion, there is also a proposed
highway:admin=* Is this more appropriate or we just adopt designation?

   - *On the OSM meet-up and schedule of project activities.* To be able to
   participate in the planned activities, ESSC will post the schedules 2
   weeks before the activity. For now, the project plan is that LGU
   trainings will start either by August to September.

 Related to small meetups, we have a page to coordinate them (​
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Philippines/Events/SkillShare) If you
have ideas on what topics, please edit that page. Some initial ideas
discussed during the meeting was:

   - How to build your own Garmin maps based on OSM. The goal is for others
   to contribute to improving (style, routing, search) of our OSMPH Garmin
   map.
   - Edit sprints. We edit a specific feature in OSM (schools, admin
   boundaries, etc.)

   - *On download services that will easily use OSM for non-technical users.
   * Rally stated that some data users may have difficulty in understanding
   how they can use the data. He proposed that we build a simple download
   interface where people can get sample OSM like a CSV of all schools in
   Metro Manila. This data can be easily viewed in a spreadsheet application
   without requirning any GIS skills. A related discussion he also raised in
   the list before (​
   http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2013-February/004322.html).
   Maning demonstrated he use of GDAL/OGR to extract this kind of data and
   Eugene also showed the Overpass API to do this. These tools are still
   difficult for many interested users. Bottom line is that we still need
   to find ways for people to easily get data from OSM.

Presentation of Maptastic

Leonard Doyle of the International Organization for Migration (IOM)
presented IOM's Maptastic! Project.

The project's goal is to increase community awareness towards on DRR using
media campaigns and community mapping.

The project's initial plan is to conduct community mapping activities to 10
barangays that was affected by Typhoon Pablo in Davao Oriental. OSM will be
the platform of this mapping activity.

IOM is looking for OSM-PH's support for this project in the form of:

   - Remote mappers who can help in improving data in the target barangays.
   - Local mappers who can join in the planned mapping events.
   - Advise on technologies they can adapt or further develop.

Details about the project here: ​
http://prezi.com/qlkwjcdepwov/maptastic-mindanao/
Editing relations in JOSM

The last part of the meeting was a demonstration by Eugene on how to use
and edit relations using JOSM. He explained what a relation is and showed
how to use/and not use relations. Thanks Eugene for the impromptu skill
sharing! :)