[talk-ph] Block number addressing on Philippine?

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 01:30:08 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Satoshi IIDA <nyampire at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to confirm a few points.
>
> 1. Block number address system is used in Philippine?
> According to OSM wiki page, there is no definition to block_number in
> Philippine.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Philippines/Addressing
>
> 1-1.
> If block_number system is used, I would like to confirm they are same or
> not to Japanese ones.
> Please tell me some (maybe out of OSM wiki) documentation.
> If they are the same concept, "_" ambiguous should be integrated :)

I would like to confirm what Ervin said: Yes, block addressing is also used
in the Philippines. But note that Philippine block addressing scheme is
always written as follows: "Block <number> Lot <number>". This is often
abbreviated to "B<number> L<number>". The lot (aka parcel) number is
generally equivalent to the building number used in Japanese addresses but
the difference is that the lot numbers are assigned consecutively to each
lot.

Block addressing is usually intended to be a temporary address scheme while
new streets are not yet named AND lots are not yet given "proper" numbers.
But even if temporary, this scheme is often used for a long period.

For example, my childhood house had the following address, "Block 7 Lot 16,
E. Pascual Street", for more than 15 years before we were assigned a
number: "46 E. Pascual Street".