[talk-ph] No road town mapping challenge

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 11:43:15 UTC 2014

Dear everyone,

Have you experienced trying to route to some town using your garmin or
osmand only to get a
"no route found" message? This is in part because no roads were traced
within this town or
the town node is completely misplaced.

We do have most of the towns/cities in the map (as nodes)
but since some of them came from an old GNS import [0], some locations are
too inaccurate.

Let's help improve this. I created a simple mapping challenge here:

http://maning.github.io/noroadtown/

It shows town nodes where there are no roads within a 2 km grid. Please
help.
Please include the tag #improve_noroadtown in the comment when saving your
improvements.

I will update the noroadtown map at least once a week to check the progress.
Of course there will be a few edge cases, for example, if you know that a
town's location is correct its just that the roads are not yet traced, just
ignore them.

This is part of my campaign for us to reach LOD1 [1].

Thanks!

[0]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2008-October/000055.html
[1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2014-April/005029.html