[talk-ph] Happy 10th Birthday OSM! Tell us your story.

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 20:11:02 UTC 2014

Happy 10th Birthday #OpenStreetMap

http://youtu.be/7sC83j6vzjo

Tell us how did you start with OSM.

I'll start.
I discovered OSM around Jan 2006 (user# 1417) while trying to look for
PH vector data I need for a research.  Free geographic data in the PH
back then is very limited. The idea of building it from scratch got me
interested.  However, I wasn't able to edit right away because I can't
get the then java-based web editor to run.
~10 months later I stumbled upon JOSM in the wiki and created my first node.

The oldest rendering I was able to save was this [0].  As far as I
remember, it was Mike Collinson who made those edits.  Many borrowed,
hacked, broken, lost GPS since [1], Marikina is still not complete
[2].  So, I'm still here mapping.

[0] http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1050/3170253158_21336b1da2.jpg
[1] http://www.slideshare.net/esambale/my-gps-stories
[2] https://www.facebook.com/mapmarikina/photos/pb.661458867266431.-2207520000.1407528496./665472483531736/?type=1&theater