[talk-ph] Increasing demand for OSM talks and workshops

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 01:18:07 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Jim Morgan <jim at datalude.com> wrote:

> maning sambale wrote, On Wednesday, 29 January, 2014 06:40 PM:
>
>  Might it be more prudent if we can consolidate several of the requests
>>> into
>>> 1, preferably in Manila? Outside of Manila, there is no group of mappers
>>> who
>>> are also interested in spreading the word or giving lectures, workshops,
>>> and
>>> tutorials.
>>>

> Just thinking out loud here ... would it be possible to do tutorials or
> demos online, using web conferencing software? Then the geographical
> location becomes irrelevant. It defintely works for Slideshows and Q&A -
> I've done a few of them on Online Security topics.

For online tutorials and demos, I think just posting videos to YouTube
would suffice. But for real-time workshops and lectures, the problem would
be the unreliable Internet connection.

Also, I've noticed that Filipinos generally prefer face-to-face
interaction. I've seen countless times where you ask the audience if they
have any questions and nobody would raise their hands. But after the
lecture is over, a few people would approach the lecturer and then ask
questions. This kind of interaction would be hard to do online.