[talk-ph] Increasing demand for OSM talks and workshops

Mark Cupitt markcupitt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 03:58:05 UTC 2014

Eugene is 100% correct. I have conducted many training seminars in the
Philippines (previous life) and I have found that face to face is the most
effective. Additionally, it is a lot more effective with small groups. If
you had 20 participants, it would be better to split into two or three
smaller groups with separate trainers. The one on one personal interaction
is a lot more effective, team building is more effective and the transfer
of information and skills is more effective.

This is a cultural phenomenon . Most Filipinos are unwilling to ask
questions in a large group situation for fear of looking silly, unlike us
Aussies who have no fear of that (hee hee)

If I did have to present to larger groups, I always made myself available
afterwards for private questions. Generally there were a lot of people who
took up the opportunity or contacted me afterwards. It did detract form the
learning process.

The approach of a bigger Group for Introductions, splitting into smaller
groups for training and then bigger groups for closing also works well, or
simply conduct smaller groups on consecutive sessions and encourage
participants from earlier sessions to help in later sessions to reinforce
their learning. This is harder on the trainer, of course. If the
participants awe captive for a period of time, the groups finished could be
set a project to do whilst other sessions are on going.

Cheers

Mark

Regards

Mark Cupitt

"If we change the world, let it bear the mark of our intelligence"

See me on LinkedIn <http://ph.linkedin.com/in/markcupitt>

*See me on StackExchange <http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/17846/mark-c>*

The contents of this email are intended only for the individual(s) to whom
it is addressed and may contain
recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute,
or use the contents of this email. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete the email and any attachments.