[talk-ph] Drones

Mark Cupitt markcupitt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 01:55:44 UTC 2014

Hi Nick, I am a pilot and until recently had a couple of planes here. I
hung up my wings for Mapping Efforts pretty much because it was just
becoming too hard to fly here, the volume of rules, regulations and
security requirements was just making it too hard.

Believe it or not, there is another aspect to this in that aerial
photography is illegal without CAAP and Military permission, then the
military insist on having an intelligence officer assigned to "monitor" the
project, at a cost. I had the argument a couple of years ago and zooming on
on GE to some very key strategic locations during the meeting, including
one individuals house showing the swimming pool n the back yard did nothing
to convince anyone of how archaic that concept was, but it did raise a
couple of eyebrows :) (I expect here is now a cover over the pool to hide
it from 'prying" eyes :)

Sadly, I had a dream of a couple of UAV's here to respond to mudslides,
natural disasters, etc. Imagine the value of up to the minute imagery to
responders.. I have given up as the permissions would take weeks and the
value would be limited to historical, not saving lives ..

Cheers

Mark

Regards

Mark Cupitt

"If we change the world, let it bear the mark of our intelligence"

See me on Open StreetMap <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mark_Cupitt>

See me on LinkedIn <http://ph.linkedin.com/in/markcupitt>

*See me on StackExchange <http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/17846/mark-c>*

The contents of this email are intended only for the individual(s) to whom
it is addressed and may contain
recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute,
or use the contents of this email. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete the email and any attachments.