[talk-ph] Fwd: [OSM-talk] IEEE Conference in Montreal, ShareSlide available, HOT Response to Haiyan and Ebola outbreak

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 23:05:00 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr>
Date: Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 7:02 AM
Subject: [OSM-talk] IEEE Conference in Montreal, ShareSlide available, HOT
Response to Haiyan and Ebola outbreak
To: HOT Discussion list <hot at openstreetmap.org>, OSM Talk discussion list <
talk at openstreetmap.org>

At the IEEE conference in Montreal, june 1.  I presented the two recent
Activations for the Haiyan Typhoon in Philippines and  the Ebola outbreak
in West Africa. Below is the link to the Shareslide of my presentation
where some Videos are inserted.
http://fr.slideshare.net/pierzen/open-streetmap-responsetohumanitariancrisishaiyanebolaieeemontreal20130601

I wanted to show the context of intervention when respond to such
humanitarian crisis, how the OSM community progressed rapidly and offered
innovative products. The contributions in collaboration with the Red Cross
(Tacloban) and with CartONG / MSF and Red Cross (Ebola outbreak) were
awesome.  The various products and services provided to the humanitarians
made the difference as expressed by the various media updates.   A study
has been presented recently by REACH about the Damage assessments made by
the OSM community for the Haiyan Typhoon. Like all the other organizations
that did these assessments, we used satellite imagery of 50 cm resolution
of poor quality. In storm related events, this is a real problem. You can
appreciate with the various comparisons of imagery presented.

Progress has been made to assure usability of OSM data for the humanitarian
organizations and Wireless applications offer a good potential to progress
in this direction.  As more projects are developped with the humanitarian
community, we should progress with more usability of the OSM data in the
future activations, and respond to the needs of these organizations in
quite challenging operational contexts.

Every new intervention is different and the international community has to
improvize and respond rapidly.  About lessons learned, let's hope that we
will be able to find ways to even better integrate the remote participation
of the OpenStreetMap community with the UN Agencies and International
organizations in the future.

regard

Pierre