[talk-ph] Mappers in the Visayas Area

Nick Brown nick at nickbrown.ca
Tue Sep 2 04:55:27 UTC 2014

Indeed, thank you both! Yes, the OSM map for Bantayan is great, thanks for
that great work. The lion's share of the mapping has already been done as
you suggest it just needs a) local knowledge for tagging, and b) updates
based on all the NGO and development activity since then.

We have been using OSM's maps here since December, and I cannot tell you
how immensely valuable they've been, especially for tracking down remote
settlements (some of our beneficiaries are a 45+ minute hike from a road).
Responding to Yolanda without these maps would be so much more challenging,
I'm eternally grateful to folks like yourselves who have pioneered the way.

We have geotagged all 900 houses that we've built and are now working with
other organizations (PRC and IRW to start) to help them tag their houses as
well, so we can get an improved 3W map (Who, What, Where) and identify the
areas still underserved. Our maps are still internal-only as they include
confidential beneficiary information, but I'll try and share in the next
couple weeks once we have a publicly digestible version.

Thanks Maning for the resources!!