[talk-ph] 7500 and counting.

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 04:21:04 UTC 2016

I was able to talk to some people from NAMRIA and they said that the
"7,641" number is actually Secretary Paje jumping the gun. This number is
not validated and is just an initial comparison of the IFSAR data with
existing data. There may be data anomalies (because IFSAR is not foolproof)
so I was told that 7,641 should be taken as just an estimate and *not* as
official data.

I also asked if there is a definitive database of islands. I was told that
there is still no official/accurate database of islands of the Philippines,
but that there is an ongoing effort to validate the data that they do have.
I was also told that the ~7,100 number is based on NAMRIA's 1:250,000 maps
which were originally based on the US-era maps. So that means that small
islands were not counted, and there would be inaccuracies such as with
names, land area, and even location.