[talk-ph] Updated Philippines map for Maps.me

Totor totor_osm at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 12:19:38 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I had a question from a new OSM member, when his changes would show up in MapsWithMe.
So I thought I would share the result here.

It looks like the last update of their map was December 15, 2015 .
On their website I saw it is possible to generate your own map.

It was a little complicated (I had to to download about 1Gb source code, then compile it), but I managed to make an updated map.
I can not find out how to make the routing file (except by making the whole world map, and that is way too long, and I do not have enough space on my hard disk to store the latest world file...).
(all is relatively clearly explained here: https://github.com/mapsme/omim/blob/master/docs/INSTALL.md )

You can download the resulting map here (80Mb): http://osm.totor.ph/philippines.mwm
The source pbf was downloaded today march 19, 2016 from Geofabrik.

Installing is manageable if you have a minimum IT knowledge.

First make sure the Maps.me app is closed.

On my Android, on the SD card there is a folder "MapsWithMe".
Inside this folder there is folder called 151215 which contains the original maps from maps.me
If you only have the Philippines in there, rename this folder to 151215old  (this is a back-up in case something goes wrong) , then create a new folder and name it 151215.
If you have several maps in there, move the Philippines map files somewhere safe...
Put the map you downloaded from the link above in the 151215 folder.

launch maps.me to check...
You should be able to see the updated map, but you will have no more routing...

If you want to go back to the old map, close the app, then just rename the 151215 to 151215totor (or delete it) and then rename the folder 151215old to 151215, and all should be like before.
(If you moved the map files instead, just move them back)
You can also simply update from the app, it will overwrite whatever map is there and go back to the official map.

Cheers,

Totor