[talk-ph] Overdue Post-Mechanical Edit report (BDO)

ianlopez ian_lopez_1115 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 06:30:21 UTC 2017

In early July 2015, I made 32 changesets [1] that are part of the BDO Mechanical Edits.

What I did:
1. Inform the mappers in the affected areas using this mailing list while simultaneously making a plan on how to manage the edits and publicizing them for comments and suggestions
2. Document my mechanical edits in the OSM Wiki
3. Make mechanical edits
4. Make a Post-Mechanical Edit report

What I've noticed:
1. During the mechanical editing process, I forgot to add the operator tag on BDO branches in Pangasinan on the first changeset [2]. Thus, another changeset was created to rectify it [3].
2. I also deleted some building polygons in Valenzuela City since they were duplicates of an existing building polygon [4] and that one BDO branch in Las Piñas was not included in the changeset for BDO branches in Southern Parañaque, Las Piñas and Muntinlupa [5]. The issue was then fixed in changeset 32537180 [6].
3. I made a progress report midway through the mechanical edit, announcing its temporary suspension and resumption time and date [7]. The mechanical edits resumed at 4 PM (Philippine Standard Time) and ended at 4:44 PM on the said date.
4. Duplicate elements were also deleted in the changesets for the Visayas [8][9]
5. Similar to rebranded Allied Bank/PNB branches, there are cases that BDO branches have been relocated or closed.
6. The mechanical editing process encountered some difficulties, as mentioned in the mechanical edits update [7]. Other than that, the editing process went smoothly as planned.

What can you do after the recent mechanical edit:
1. Do on-the-ground surveys to confirm if the BDO branches that I modified still exist, as branch relocations happen, as in the cases of the rebranded Allied Bank/PNB branches.
2. If you noticed that my mechanical edits do not correspond to the on-the-ground situation, do the following:
2.1 Message me to revert my mechanical edit for a certain branch or area.
2.2 Make the corresponding edits. Example: if a BDO branch is closed or relocated, mark it as such.

To be done in future mechanical edits:
1. Notify users in affected areas at least 3 days before the planned mechanical edits through other means such as OSM inbox and the slack group since not everyone is a part of this mailing list.
2. Create a dedicated mechanical edits account, which was done on December 31, 2016 [10]

[1] see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits/Ianlopez1115#BDO_(June-July_2015)
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/32324927
[3] https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/32324983
[4] https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/32326511