[talk-ph] Let's use place=square tag for town plazas?

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 19:34:11 UTC 2017

Hello all,

There's a discussion on the talk mailing list about rendering the
relatively new tag place=square[1] on the default OSM base map. This tag is
used for town squares (also known as plaza in Spain, place in France, Platz
in Germany, and piazza in Italy).

I suggest that we retag many of our town plazas as place=square. Currently
we tag these as either leisure=park, such as Plaza Pershing[2] in Zamboanga
City, or highway=pedestrian + area=yes, such as Plaza Miranda[3] in Quiapo,
Manila.

While I think plazas that look or feel like parks (has lawns and many
plants) can still remain as leisure=park, I think plazas that are mostly
pedestrian in structure should be retagged as place=square and only tag the
actual pedestrian areas inside the plaza as highway=pedestrian + area=yes.

For example, I think Plaza Santa Cruz[4] in Manila is not currently mapped
correctly because the map contains a solid pedestrian area but this is not
correct because Carriedo Fountain is in the middle and pedestrians cannot
really walk over the fountain. I think the whole area, including the roads,
should be tagged place=square + name=Plaza Santa Ana, and only the small
portion that is pedestrian, excluding the Carriedo Fountain, should be
tagged highway=pedestrian + area=yes.

What do you all think?

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:place%3Dsquare
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/235474192