[talk-ph] Usability of translating Wikidata world places to Tagalog/Filipino

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu May 4 10:55:51 UTC 2017

Hi,

I started this conversation in OSMPH slack but would like to open
discussion in this list.  Also apologies if this is not entirely
related to OSM but a very close project since as per Eugene's
assessment wikidata community is not very active in the Philippines.

Our team at Mapbox is pushing for completing Wikidata places
translation to several languages [0] including Filipino/Tagalog.  The
aim is to connect the two projects and leverage from the data that
both project have (location in OSM, translations in Wikidata). [1]

Eugene posted suggestions, here's our conv in Slack

maning [April 26th at 10:49 AM]
@here what's our best practice for name tagalog?  We use english names right?

seav [Apr 26]
We should use the Tagalog translation if it is available and well
attested. Examples: Maynila (Manila), Kabite (Cavite), Bulakan
(Bulacan), Hilagang Samar (Northern Samar), Alemanya (Germany),
Estados Unidos (United States), Hapon (Japan), Tsina (China).

My question is while this is desirable, is it essential for locals in
the Philippines or travelling abroad to use a navigation app with
translated places in Filipino/Tagalog.  In most cases Filipinos are
comfortable with using English names for places (e.g. "Germany"
instead of "Alemanya")

[0] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Planemad_mapbox/World_places_translation_project
[1] https://www.mapbox.com/blog/scaling-openstreetmap-wikidata-knowledge/