[OpenStreetMap Serbia] Naming issues in kosovo

Miloš Komarčević kmilos at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 12:01:47 GMT 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Mike  Dupont
<jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Well, I am personally going to just give up on the serbian enclaves
> (and serbian dominated northern kosovo) and invoke the
> Map on the ground rule.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disputes#On_the_Ground_Rule
>
> In those places that the Republic of Kosovo Gov has installed new
> multilingual signs, those areas we will continue to map as such. In
> those areas where they still have the old signs and the people
> consider themselves part of serbia, there is no point in giving them a
> different name.  Our job as mappers is not to change the world, but to
> map it as it is.

This makes sense for the main 'name' key. Ideally all places should
also have both 'name:sr' and 'name:sq' tags.

(I personally think that the 'name' key without the context of the
language is ill conceived for other reasons anyway, but that's another
discussion altogether.)

> About the border, I think that people need to stop messing with the
> admin levels, leave them as level 2. I have brought this up with the
> DWG. but if you cannot stop yourselves, at least pick a level and not
> randomly change it between 3 and 4.

I thought OSM rules were pretty clear on the admin level here too [1]:

"There is some controversy about what is the exact meaning of country.
For the sake of clarity, only political entities listed on the ISO
3166 standard are to be considered countries."

Ergo, a good compromise IMHO is level 3.

But I agree with Dragutin, not much point in reasoning with trolls
changing stuff back and forth, so it's good having a third party
moderate the changes.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level#National