[Talk-scotland] Edinburgh - Belgrave Terrace/Clermiston Terrace

Eric Grosso eric.grosso.os at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 17:08:19 UTC 2015

Yes, you're right, Nominatim  shows "Clermiston Road".

It's always the case with Nominatim even if it's tagged as an "alt_name".
It's because in Nominatim, house numbers are always associated with a
physical road and the results are based on the main name of this road. That's
also the reason why if a road with the same or alternative name doesn't
exist physically (i.e. with a geometry), Nominatim doesn't provide any
result. For example, let's consider "9 Bright Terrace, Edinburgh". No
result is provided even if this address is on the map:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2564994565

If the house numbers are on the map -- for example, let's take this address
"8 Leopold place, Edinburgh" --, the results provided by Nominatim is "8
London road" but if you click on the result, it'll show the node for "8
Leopold place, Edinburgh".

Hope it helps to understand how Nominatim works in these specific contexts.

Cheers,
Eric