[Talk-transit] NAPTAN bus stops

Brian Prangle bprangle at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 6 14:13:19 GMT 2009

Hi

Now that we have completed Birmingham and its immediate Metropolitan area (
Solihull and Sutton Coldfield) the local group of OSMers have identified a
numbe rof mini-projects to work on in 2009. One of the mini-projects is bus
routes and bus stops. we have National Express headquartered in Birmingham
and if we can get a long way down  the road of establishing this
mini-project we might get National Express interested. We reckon we've
already got about 500 bus stops mapped, most with route and identity tagged.

So we were wondering if we could be the guinea pig for an upload of the
NAPTAN data (anything with a B postcode, if that's how the dat is
identified) which we could cross-refer to what's already in OSM and use the
remainder for what we've missed. We thought that if the NAPTAN nodes were
tagged so that they didn't render and we could "switch them on" by tagging
them as bus-stop. Or we could use our data where we thought that was more
accurate. We could elaborate a method that could be rolled out elsewhere and
we could also gather some on the ground experience about the accuracy of our
data vs NAPTAN

Let us know what you think

Regards

Brian