[Talk-transit] [Talk-gb-westmidlands] NAPTAN database

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 20 15:53:46 GMT 2009

Thomas Wood [mailto:grand.edgemaster at gmail.com] wrote:
>Sent: 20 February 2009 2:51 PM
>To: Shaun McDonald
>Cc: Peter Miller; Talk-gb-westmidlands at openstreetmap.org; talk-
>transit at openstreetmap.org; Brian Prangle; Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists)
>Subject: Re: [Talk-transit] [Talk-gb-westmidlands] NAPTAN database

>>> In my opinion, yes, where provided. However, since my view is
>>> essentially London-only, (where NaptanCodes don't exist at all), I
>>> find that the Stop indicator is the most useful thing, since it is
>>> almost essential to differentiate stops at transport hubs.
>>> I don't see any problem with having a non-unique ref=, since it's be
>>> likely to be unique on a local scale which is when it is most useful.
>>
>> I have seen these local codes on a red circle at the top of the pole in
>> Edinburgh. I always enter them as local_ref=... since it a is a local
>> reference. ref=... should be used for the national ref of the bus stop in
>my
>> opinion.
>>

>> Shaun
>
>Very well. Changed the converter, and wiki.

Not sure if ref= has universally been used for bus_stops. I know all the
ones I've mapped use that. Easy enough to change though.

I think it may be correct that the numbers on shelters in my photos are
asset numbers, however these stops don't appear to carry any other reference
number. All non shelter bus stops in West Mids carry a number in a different
format as per link below. Does this number appear in the NaPTAN data?

http://ajr.hopto.org/osm/SD530502.JPG

If these on-the-ground reference numbers are not in the NaPTAN data then we
have quite a bit of work to do to map stops properly.

Cheers

Andy