[Talk-transit] Public Transport routing

Peter J Stoner stonerpj at mytraveline.info
Fri Sep 4 11:42:26 BST 2009

In message on 4 Sep 2009,  Frankie Roberto  wrote:

> Hi all,

> I just added a new introduction to the Public Transport page (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport), trying to give an
> overview of what public transport is and why it should be added to OSM.

> Whilst doing this, I had a quick play with Google's Public Transit map
> service, to see how that's getting on. For the UK, it seems pretty useless!
> Just about any journey I put in (London-Edinburgh, Manchester-Sheffield),
> the only option I got back was a National Express coach - seems they're the
> only data service they've imported so far.

> This got me thinking - whilst OSM is a long way from being able to add
> timetable information, basic routing (giving you the names of train
> services, and working out where you need to change), is something OSM could
> feasibly provide.

> Is anyone currently looking at this? I know of
> http://www.öpnvkarte.de/<http://www.%C3%B6pnvkarte.de/>,
> which displays public transport routes, but I don't know of any experimental
> routing services yet. Have I missed something? (Peter, ITO World?)

> Incidentally, I just came across this page:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Train_routing which seems to mostly date
> from 2007, but has some useful information (and diagrams) in it, that could
> be worth merging into the Railways page (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Railways).

Frankie

I would hope that in due course Traveline might be able to help with
this.  Interesting discussions are continuing but no decisions yet.

--
Peter J Stoner
UK Regional Coordinator         www.travelinedata.org.uk

a trading name of
Intelligent Travel Solutions Ltd  company number 3826797
Drury House, 34-43 Russell Street, LONDON WC2B 5HA
- find Traveline on facebook at
www.facebook.com/pages/Traveline/125717190651