Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Sun May 12 16:04:56 UTC 2019

On Sun, 12 May 2019 at 09:57, Jarek PiĆ³rkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca> wrote:
> I can imagine calculating correct stop position being challenging in
> case of multi-lane bus stations like
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/37096072 (looks like
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Islington_TTC_Bus_Barns.jpg in
> reality) or https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/617387384.

Follow-up: I've just re-read your other message where you mentioned
that with correct relation tagging, you would take a projection of
platform/bus_stop onto the nearest vehicle way which is in the route
relation.

In my experience the vehicle ways are included in route relations more
often than the stop/platform details, so it seems fair to expect that
if platform is mapped in detail, the routes using that platform will
have ways also included in the route relations. Of course route
relations are a bit prone to breaking, but so is detailed station
mapping.

A requirement would be having one direction per relation, otherwise
vehicles going in opposite directions might still be mapped to an
incorrect stop_position if 2+ trip directions pass through a station.

The possible edge cases I'm coming up with (trips where a vehicle
serves the same station twice _in one trip_ but on different
platforms) seem like they'd be incredibly rare so I am alright
ignoring them.

So I would agree that a strong case can be made for stop_position not
being necessary, provided we have a requirement that
platform/bus_stop/equivalent is not on the vehicle way, and that we
have only one trip direction in a route relation.

--Jarek