[Talk-transit] Old railways

Sun May 12 17:45:22 UTC 2019

On 12-05-19 17:48, Jarek PiĆ³rkowski wrote:
>> In my environment, some people are adding old ("razed" railways to
>> openstreetmak, of which no trace is visible in the field.
>> It concerns both old railways which have been gone since 1933, e.g.
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/592259029 (Note that this piece still
>> is somewhat visible, as it is now a road and partially a cycle path).
>
> Hi Tijmen,
>
> The "canonical" answer is that things that no longer exist in real
> life and there is no trace of them do not belong in OpenStreetMap.
>
> How strict you want to interpret this probably depends more on local
> community consensus than on talk-transit guidance.
>
> Tagging of removed railways that are now paths _in the same alignment_
> seems relatively uncontroversial. https://osm.org/way/583243933 is an
> example local to me.

Yeah, I hold that same thing too. Basically path and track I still
double-tag as railway=abandoned, but when it becomes a proper highway, I
generally don't.
I do tag razed when most of a longer railway is still (very) visible in
the field, but short sections are no longer, as e.g. they have become a
highway through/around a village. E.g.
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/419757167> or
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/191384386> (that latter should've
been razed, not abandoned)

> Your example of way 592259029 seems to me a bit
> ambitious in that it traces alignment where it is no longer evident,
> such as over houses, and https://osm.org/way/592259043 is a bridge
> that no longer exists... I would not include this in OSM.

>> Another example is a tram line in Amsterdam that has been gone for a
>> year now <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/672838805>, the area has
>> been completely redeveloped, no trace of the old tram tracks remains.
>
> IMO this should not be in OSM.

Then we think alike.

>> I only recently found out about openrailwaymap, but I can't find much
>> information about it. It seems it gets its data from the OSM database.
>>
>> Is there a way to store "razed" railways somewhere else, so they will
>> show up on openrailwaymap but not on OSM (they are rendered on some
>> renderers, e.g. OSMAND)
>
> There does exist
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Historical_Map which is a
> separate database intended for things that used to exist but don't
> anymore.
>
> Although this would be technically and legally possible, I doubt that
> OpenRailwayMap currently integrates data from OHM.

Thank you so much!

To not "lose" the hard work of others, I have copied (part of) the
abandoned/razed railways from OSM to OHM, added it with data from
Wikipedia. Now I have to remove the data from OSM, but that's quite some
work so I will do that later.

<http://www.openhistoricalmap.org/?edit_help=1#map=16/52.7820/4.8315&layers=H>

Thanks for that!

Btw, do you know of a way to copy data from one layer in JOSM to
another, while keeping it at the exact same position?