[Talk-TW] [OSM-talk] CJK fallback fonts - testing needed

deng dongpo dongpo.deng於gmail.com
Mon 1月 13 03:40:30 UTC 2014

Hi Paul and Hans

For traditional Chinese characters, the Droid Fallback font looks better
than current OSM version.

I'd like to contiune Hans's opinions. Current OSM only uses "zh" tag to
display Chinese characters. It seems not enough. The areas where people use
Chinese are consist of China, Taiwan, Hong-Kong, Macau, Singapore,
Malaysia, and even Indonesia. Besides the difference between traditional
and simplized Chinese characters, the use of Chinese is often very
different. Thus, in Wikipedia, we can see that a Chinese wiki page has five
different language types, including zh-cn, zh-hk, zh-mo, zh-sg, and zh-tw.
The display of languages on the map is a political thing. It sometimes
becomes a problem. For example, the controvertial areas. A couple of months
ago, a Taiwanese mapper persisted in adding Senkaku Islands[1] on Taiwanses
place name "釣魚台". The chage caused that Chinese and Janpanese mappers
competatively re-name the island. I think most mappers don't like to such
kind of "mapping" happen again.

Cheers,

Dongpo

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1788110205