[Talk-us] Importing campsite in Oregon

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 17:21:25 BST 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Tom Brown <tomgmail at thecap.org> wrote:

> I'm going to be camping in Oregon in a week. OSM didn't seem to include any
> campsites in that area so I downloaded positions from the USFS and a private
> operator and imported them using ogr2ogr, gpsbabel and josm.
>
> The USFS data is public domain. I updated
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Potential_Datasources#US_Forest_Service
>
> For the data I got from the google map at
> http://www.hoodoo.com/oregon_home.htm I emailed hoodoo and got this reply:

You need to be very careful about this to make sure the data you grabbed
isn't tainted. The USFS public domain stuff should be okay, but if any of
the actual campsite locations or data came from Google, then it should
probably be removed, because OSM does not have permission to use information
derived from Google maps. That's why OSM can't use geonames.org data,
either.

Karl