[Talk-us] Importing campsite in Oregon

Tom Brown thecapcom at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 19:02:28 BST 2008

Since the HooDoo Google My Map wouldn't work I emailed rcostello at fs.fed.us,
the contact listed at
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/manage/gis/index.html, asking for
campsite locations. She replied with a shp file containing exactly that and
confirmed that the data is public domain (see below). I plan in importing
with source_ref=email:rcostello at fs.fed.us;wil_campsites.zip

Next question: What tools exist to help me merge/conflate the points I'm
importing with existing data (if any)? I could make an osm file that
contains all existing data that might be duplicated and use gpsbabel. I
don't see anything about duplicates at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Import

Sorry for so many questions about a fairly small dataset. I'm getting my
feet wet and plan on working up to larger imports.