[Talk-us] US Route Tagging With Relations

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 06:29:38 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Chris Lawrence <lordsutch at gmail.com> wrote:
> - ref is reserved for backward compatibility and should follow
> Key:ref's semantics.  "number" is used for the bare route identifier
> (e.g. US 7 -> number=7; I-35W -> number=35W) as in Alan's suggestion.

I just realized that this is incorrect; ref can be used for the bare
numbers since nothing is rendering the route numbers from road
relations at present.  I fixed the wiki accordingly.

I also wrote up an example of situations where named routes do not
exactly coincide with numbered routes which should satisfy some
concerns expressed (unsigned) on the talk page.

Chris