[Talk-us] US Route Tagging With Relations

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 15:50:20 GMT 2008

Chris,

Thanks for putting up that table.  Looks great.  I have two suggestions:

I think the network identifiers should be simpler. What about this scheme?

Interstate = Interstate signed highway system
US = US signed highway system
[state abbr.] = State signed highway system

TX = Texas
CA = California
OR = Oregon
etc...

County or other networks should just be the county name or TN Secondary,
etc...

To avoid duplicate network values (CA stands for California and Canada) we
can use the "is_in" key the same way it is used for place names.  So a
California route relation would have these tags:

network: CA
is_in: United States

Or a county road system in california:

network: Marin Co
is_in: California, United States

This way we don't clutter up the network name, but we keep the
differentiating information.

My other suggestion is that I don't thing the symbol key is necessary.  I
think the renderers should be able to assign a symbol based on the network
and is_in tags once they get to that stage.  This way they symbols will stay
more consistent and we won't get US highway shields that look slightly
different throughout the country.

Thoughts?

Zeke