[Talk-us] Fwd: US Route Tagging With Relations

lordsutch at gmail.com lordsutch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 22:58:07 GMT 2008

Sorry meant to send to all...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: lordsutch at gmail.com
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:56:48 -0600
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] US Route Tagging With Relations
To: Zeke Farwell <ezekielf at gmail.com>

Personally I think it's best to let the renderer be as stupid as
possible - some applications might be embedded, for example. Making
the networks location or context-dependent is a recipe for disaster
IMHO.

The beauty of the proposed scheme is that it's easy for the renderer
to pick a generic symbol that is appropriate.

I - interstate shield
US - us shield
MX - Mexico shield
XX:anything - state/province generic (circle/oval)
XX:yy:anything - local generic (rectangle)

For route guidance like text-to-speech or written directions the last
part (split on colon for anything with a colon) can always be used and
will at least make some sense.

I agree it would be nice to have a North American rendering style but
that's not a data issue. And there's a lot of variety even there;
compare MapArt to Michelin to Rand McNally to AAA/Universal to DeLorme
to USGS.

--
Christopher N. Lawrence, Ph.D. <c.n.lawrence at gmail.com>
Assistant Professor of Political Science

Website: http://www.cnlawrence.com/