[Talk-us] TIGER Map Updates

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Mon Jan 14 17:06:14 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 16:05 -0600, Joseph Booker wrote:
> Ok, so I've waited three weeks for responses, and these are what I have:
>
> Two contributors said 'yes', several didn't respond, and one said that
> uploading data from Chicago GIS* would be better

Well, it's only better if someone goes to the (technical and legal)
trouble of getting the data into a format which can be used by OSM.

On the surface, they don't look amenable to providing full data sets,
and there are some requirements for reproduction of copyright notices.
I'm not sure OSM can respect that properly.

Anyway, if someone wants to pursue this, let me know.  I can probably
get you in touch with some people in the city's legal office.  I know
some people who used to work there.

> about Dupage county, user_5788 said "I've done most (all?) of the Dupage
> county mapping out there. _Most_ of what I've done is streets (a few
> parks and bike trails are also tossed in there), and I'm sure that
> to ride around on my bike. So I'm up for replacing my stuff with Tiger
> data. It'll definitely make it easier to add all of the other landmarks
> I know about in the area."

OK, so that's a "yes" on Du Page?

> So, are you able to upload the data from the city?

No.

1. It's not in a format that I can readily use (I don't know about
   conversion)
2. It's not clearly legally available.

-- Dave