[Talk-us] US National Hydrography Dataset

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 20:11:33 GMT 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 10:00 AM, Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 12:38 -0800, Matthew Perry wrote:
> > Would anyone be interested in some sort of mass upload of hydrography
> > data (to follow on the success of the TIGER import!) ?
> > If not, would anyone object to me doing so for the areas of interest
> > to me?
> > Anyone have any suggestions on improving the conversion routine before
> > I start uploading?
>
> Sounds interesting to me.
>
> But, please post some of the data before you start uploading so that we
> can take a look at it.  I've been fixing Louisiana coastline for he last
> few days because whatever created it did some really stupid things.
> Let's just make sure that your data is in good shape!

For my corner of the world (southern california, santa barbara) the
data is pretty darn good: http://perrygeo.net/tmp/nhd.osm.tar.gz

Since I have dropped all coastline features from the NHD dataset, the
coastline could be considered a separate issue from the inland
waterbodies represented by the NHD data.  Obviously in cases where the
interaction between land/freshwater/ocean is very complex (like the
swamps of Louisianna) there may be conflicts at the coastline.

For now I'll just focus on getting a few local watersheds completed so
I can document the process and help others do the same. No automated
imports planned  (yet). I'll try to follow the tagging conventions of
the tiger data so that the data can be easily identified later.

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net

-- Douglas Adams