[Talk-us] TIGER 2007 files

Beau Gunderson beau at beaugunderson.com
Mon Jul 21 05:28:40 BST 2008

I just tried to create the tool you proposed but the TIGER shapefiles are
8gb zipped and after downloading them I've only got 6gb free on my
webserver. :)

To download all the shapefiles you can use:

   # wget -r -A "*edges*" ftp://ftp2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2007FE/

After that I was going to write a script to create a Mapnik XML file with
them all in it and then display that with OpenLayers side-by-side with the
current OSM map using Mapstraction and this as a reference:

   http://www.mapstraction.com/ljn.php

Maybe someone with more space can give it a try... I'm still clearing space
on my server so I may get farther along at some point!

Beau