[Talk-us] TIGER 2007 files

Beau Gunderson beau at beaugunderson.com
Mon Jul 21 07:21:44 BST 2008

I unzipped the King County edges file and made do with that. Here's my proof
of concept:

   http://beaugunderson.com/osm/

The first map controls the second in terms of panning and zooming.

You can see that the 2007 data is leaps and bounds ahead of the TIGER data
that got imported (at least in this area). The freeway interchanges were
very bad and quite low resolution before, they're now quite good.

The map is centered on 47.61038, -122.20068; just East of Seattle.

Beau

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Beau Gunderson <beau at beaugunderson.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>    # wget -r -A "*edges*" ftp://ftp2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2007FE/
>
> After that I was going to write a script to create a Mapnik XML file with
> them all in it and then display that with OpenLayers side-by-side with the
> current OSM map using Mapstraction and this as a reference:
>
>    http://www.mapstraction.com/ljn.php
>
> Maybe someone with more space can give it a try... I'm still clearing space
> on my server so I may get farther along at some point!
>

> Beau
>

> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 6:39 PM, mike.onines at juno.com <
> mike.onines at juno.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I knew trying to do sequential pulls would create a number of
>> coordination issues, I just didn't know what the plan was.  I figured
>> someone smarter than me had figured out a cool way to do it, like keying on
>> the tiger_reviewed tag and automatically replacing centerline data that
>> hadn't been reviewed with the revised entity in TIGER.  Things could still
>> get messy where a user has added new subdivisions & features before the
>> TIGER data release with the "official" position data for those streets.
>> You'd need some sort of way to flag street centerlines that are too close to
>> be reasonable, or cross, or whatever, and somehow keep it from flagging
>> every divided highway in the system.  Doesn't sound fun.
>>
>> The idea of creating tools for users to pull thier county of interest and
>> compare the new TIGER with OSM might be useful.  I thought I saw where Steve
>> C had done a comparison of OSM's centerline info with Google/NAVTEQ's
>> info for an area of interest in an automated way (although I could certainly
>> be mistaken on that point).  A highlight tool for OSM vs. new TIGER for a
>> county sized region with arial imagery in the background would be an awesome
>> tool to rapidly scan for things that may have been missed...or areas where
>> TIGER is really out of the loop :-)
>>
>> All in all I'm in awe of the data conversion process that has already
>> taken place.  I've been playing around with the streets in my city
>> (Stockton, CA) and I can't imagine having a situation similar to the UK
>> where every single street had to be loaded by hand from scratch!  Thanks
>> Dave for the great work!
>>
>>      -Mike
>>

>> -- "Beau Gunderson" <beau at beaugunderson.com> wrote:
>>  Another alternative may be to be for the people working in an area they
>> care about to do those steps manually. I'm very interested in the Seattle
>> data because the TIGER data that's there now has some definite gaps. :)
>>

>> Beau

>>> I can't imagine this will be their last release.  I'm sure they'll
>>> continuei

>>> It was a real pain to import one static data set onto a blank slate.  I
>>> can't even imagine trying to:
>>>
>>> 1. Read the new features
>>> 2. Find out what those were mapped as in 2006 when we pulled the TIGER
>>>   data
>>> 3. Figure out where those features went in OSM
>>> 4. Figure out if those features have been updated
>>> 5. Which copy is better