[Talk-us] bulk upload of data to OSM: roads, water, and orthos

John Callahan john.callahan at UDel.Edu
Wed Jun 25 16:00:08 BST 2008

To answer your question...Yes, our new road dataset is a significant
improvement over current TIGER data (which I obtained from
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tgrshp2007/tgrshp2007.html)

According to [1] the best options for bulk uploading non-GPS data, is to
use the API directly or JOSM.  Any recommendation for either one of
these?  Using JOSM seems to be the way to go as I can view WMS services
as a background, although I will need to convert my shapefile into .osm
format.  Any recommendations on a shp2osm conversion process?

If I do upload data this way, it seems like the new roads will sit
alongside of the currently present road data on OSM.  Can I simply
overwrite the current road data, or is it a manual deleting process
before I upload the new stuff?   Thanks.

- John

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/FAQ#I_have_public_domain_non-GPS_data.2C_how_can_I_upload_it.3F

John Callahan