[Talk-us] bulk upload of data to OSM: roads, water, and orthos

John Callahan john.callahan at UDel.Edu
Wed Jun 25 17:42:07 BST 2008

The new road dataset was created directly from the local county planning
departments and from our state Dept of Transportation.  This includes
spatial line work as well as updated address ranges, postal codes, and
names.   The data were then merged together to form a state-wide mosaic
and fit to align with our high resolution 2007 orthophotography, which
it does very well at about 1:1000 and fairly well (line still stays
within street on photo, just not center) down to 1:200 in most areas.

Spatially it's no contest.  I've attached just a few simple images to
show what I mean.  These show our new dataset in red vs TIGER 2007 in
purple.  Remember that the red lines match the hi-res photography.

Attributes are also an improvement for geocoding, routing, and naming.
Attached is a very small extract of the available data fields.   I work
closely with our state GIS data providers and users (including county
planning departments, DOT, Dept of Education, Dept of Env Resources,
private consultants, University staff, etc...) and this new dataset is
generally agreed upon as the best option.  There was a lot of money paid
to work on this data and create a high-quality dataset.  The data I want
to contribute to OSM is the "unrestricted" part of a larger data
collection effort.  (I just checked the license agreement and it clearly
states unrestricted rights to geometry and selected attributes (those
attached in dbf file.)

This dataset does not have any POIs.  It is simply line work and
attributes for mapping, routing, and geocoding.

Good question about contacting OSM editors of this data.  I can easily
contact most of the GIS data professionals and
govt'/consultant/University people who typically with transportation
data.  However, that does leave out the single individual, say at home,
who modifies the data.  Not sure how often that happens.  I can always
keep an copy of the current OSM data before uploading the new data set
and replace parts of needed.  Or is there a way to find any edits made
since the intial loading of the TIGER?

- John