[Talk-us] GIS state data

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 16:15:39 GMT 2008

I have done some work on converting state and county shp data.  While the
conversion takes a little work to setup.  I have NOT however gotten anywhere
with merging that data into the OSM set.  I could open it in josm and could
manually try merging a whole county in 1 shot.  BUT josm with that much data
is REALLY slow.  If there is a way to do that merge in smaller chuncks I
would love to have more information.

See
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2008-September/000340.htmlfor
more on what I tried.
The basic conversion scripts and the modified versions
http://filebeam.com/179cc73920afa0a187e76839e6ec9308

Dale

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 4:41 AM, Nathan Mixter <srmixter at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Has anyone had any experience with importing state GIS data? Looks like
> there is some good information the California state gis site at
> http://gis.ca.gov/BrowseCatalog.epl and also at the Santa Cruz County gis
> site at http://gis.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/. It looks like the state data
> formats are in dbf, prj, shp, xml and shx. The county data is in mdb,
> shp, and esri format. Which formats are the best to try converting and
> where do I start?

Dale Puch