[Talk-us] GIS state data

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun Nov 2 16:28:37 GMT 2008

Nathan Mixter writes:
 > Has anyone had any experience with importing state GIS data?

Ugh, I wish!  New York State uses this weird "GIS Repository" thing.
Data checks in and it never checks out.  Members of the repository
(nonprofit and municipal only -- all others stay home) agree to share
data with other repository members.  Consequently, all interesting
uses are prohibited.  Blah.

What I've heard put forth as the rationale is that the people working
in the state agencies don't want to have their work turned into a
multi-million-dollar commercial product.  As if they didn't get paid
to produce it in the first place!

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | Delegislation is a slippery
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | slope to prosperity.