[Talk-us] Rendering of State Boundaries

Scott Atwood scott.roy.atwood at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 20:03:47 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Adam Schreiber <sadam at clemson.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Scott Atwood
> <scott.roy.atwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do any of the renderer support the notion of rendering the same tag
> > differently in different regions of the world?
>
> I don't believe so.  This has been brought up in the past in regards
> to highway color schemes.
>
> > Or would it be necessary to
> > add some other tag to US state boundaries in order to allow the renderers
> > render them more prominently?
>
> I'm not sure that's the way to go.

I think the best option would be for the renderers to support distinctive
rendering in different regions without requiring any additional
disambiguation.  Even though U.S. states are the "same" as French régions,
Swiss cantons, or German Länder, in that they are all first-order
administrative sub-divisions, the prominence and independence of those
administrative sub-divisions clearly varies dramatically from one country to
another.

I really don't mean to suggest that a tag should be added to the border to
indicate that the border should be rendered a particular way.  But if the
renderers can't or won't support distinctive regional renderings, the
perhaps it would be appropriate to suggest a a tag that indicates how
important a particular administrative subdivision is?

-Scott

--
Scott Atwood

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia.  ~H.G. Wells