[Talk-us] Rendering of State Boundaries

Jessica Forbess jforbess at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 20:18:42 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Scott Atwood
<scott.roy.atwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Adam Schreiber <sadam at clemson.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Scott Atwood
>> <scott.roy.atwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Do any of the renderer support the notion of rendering the same tag
>> > differently in different regions of the world?
>>
>> I don't believe so.  This has been brought up in the past in regards
>> to highway color schemes.
>>
>> > Or would it be necessary to
>> > add some other tag to US state boundaries in order to allow the
>> > renderers to
>> > render them more prominently?
>>
>> I'm not sure that's the way to go.
>
> I think the best option would be for the renderers to support distinctive
> rendering in different regions without requiring any additional
> disambiguation.  Even though U.S. states are the "same" as French régions,
> Swiss cantons, or German Länder, in that they are all first-order
> administrative sub-divisions, the prominence and independence of those
> administrative sub-divisions clearly varies dramatically from one country to
> another.
> I really don't mean to suggest that a tag should be added to the border to
> indicate that the border should be rendered a particular way.  But if the
> renderers can't or won't support distinctive regional renderings, the
> perhaps it would be appropriate to suggest a a tag that indicates how
> important a particular administrative subdivision is?
> -Scott

Scott, I understand your desire to see state borders, but when you go
look at Europe in OSM, you'll see that there are no country borders
either. Which seems more like a political statement than a simple
rendering rule.

Anyone on the European side of the pond have any comments about that?

jessica (who apparently *really* doesn't want to do any real work today)