[Talk-us] tiger:review=yes

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri Nov 28 19:52:04 GMT 2008

Jim Brown writes:
 > I guess what I'm trying to get a handle on is, how much of the tiger data
 > do we think will never be edited at all, because it is good and correct
 > already (is it a vanishingly small percentage? Or significant... Probably
 > depends on the county or state and how good their source data was prior to
 > being combined)...

Several attacks on that problem:

1) We could look at the new Tiger data and see how it differs from the
old Tiger data (which is what we have imported).

2) We (and I don't mean the exclusive "we" here, I mean myself AND
others) could explicitly target an area, and see how much needs to be
changed AND how significant it is.

For example, I'm an expert on railroads in New York State, and I can
tell you that they're inadequate for any reasonable standard of
accuracy.  But how many people care that the railroad have the right
name?  Or be marked as abandoned when it's really out-of-service, or
vice-versa?  Railfans care, obviously, but I'm staying that you need
to factor "reliability" against "percentage of users who care".

Same thing for power lines, only worse; I know of no powerlinefans.

3) We could ask the Census folks how accurate they think their data
is.

 > One thing that could be interesting to put up is to do a map style with
 > un-edited tiger data shown in highlight (like our no-names map) and then
 > add the ability to let the viewer validate it, or specific portions of it,
 > as being correct.

Maybe it's sufficient to tell JOSM "render tiger:reviewed=no stuff
with dotted lines"?  I don't see a way to do that in
~/.josm/preferences but there must be a way to tell JOSM how to render
various things.  (Obviously I haven't looked at the JOSM source).

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | Delegislation is a slippery
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | slope to prosperity.