[Talk-us] Creating Rules to Auto-OSM-Tag Shapefiles

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 03:17:44 BST 2008

For non-programmers:  use a GUI.

That said...
Basically a data import or mail merge type setup.  Pull the shape data
fields.  Ask for which ones to include.  Assign OSM data tags from a preset
list, but with the option of adding custom tags.  Allow adding extra tags to
all items  ie. for source data, credit ect.

Now for some advanced wishlist items.  Some of this could be done in josm or
similar as well though.
A real bonus would be to also have easy to use conditional tags.  If
roadname is like US ## tag as highway.
Preview data values when setting tags.
Preview results (especially for conditional statements)
Break up into smaller OSM files for easier review and uploading.
Merging of shape files that cover different layers.  I know... this is not
going to be reliable with many source data.

Make a procedure for people to follow (on the wiki).  As problems or
exceptions occure it or the program can be updated.

Sorry for the rambling nature of that list, but hope it helps.

Dale

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been seeing more and more requests for help in importing local
> government shapefiles. I have several shapefile -> osm converters, the best
> of which converts multipolygons, linestrings, and points into OSM data very
> reliably.
>
> The only issue is how to take the information contained in the shapefile
> and use it to apply OSM tags to the geometry. I'd like to try and figure out
> a way to describe this process in some sort of scripting or XML-type file.
>
> This "something" needs to take a shapefile geometry context (what kind of
> geometry it is, where in the geometry we are, and what the attributes for
> that geometry are), figure out what OSM tags apply to the OSM primitive
> based on the context, and move on to the next geometry. Preferably, this
> "something" should be very simple to use or modify, so that someone without
> a lot of programming skills can use it without too much learning curve.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this subject?

Dale Puch