[Talk-us] NHD status?

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Thu Oct 2 16:55:28 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 09:57:34AM -0500, Ian Dees wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Doug Morrison-Cleary <lists at hildormen.net>wrote:
>
> > Nooooooo. I live in northern MN and all we have around here are lakes!
> > I really want them in yesterday <grin>. Please :-)
>

> Ok I suppose I should have been more explicit. The lakes and river areas
> seem to be the easiest to tag in OSM. They are bodies of water. The sticky
> parts are the marshes and canals/drainage ditches.
>
> Perhaps we could just start an import with tags that make sense for these
> things (e.g. natural=marsh). Either that or we only import the FCode/FTypes
> that have an obvious OSM tagging scheme right now and import the other stuff
> later.

Here's a draft of what I've got so far:

  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User:Davetoo/NHD/FCODES

Might not be the best format, but gives you an idea of what I've found
so far.

I think we need to be careful about the flowlines and in particular the
artificial paths; I'm not yet convinced that any of the flowlines should
be depicted on the map.