[Talk-us] Anyone near Chicago area?

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 04:32:13 BST 2008

2008/10/5  <richard at weait.com>:
> Being on this list is a good start.  A recent Chicago mapping party was
> announced here.  The party was a few weeks ago.

Richard,

Thanks for your reply.
> Also you have added your location on your profile page at
> www.openstreetmap.org.  So other local mappers can let you know what they
> are doing.

Thanks for the tip. I have started contacting some of the local mappers.

> Why not plan a "Rolling Meadows Mini Mapping Party"?  Or an OSM Meetup?

Sure. I guess I will need to figure out how to use GPS on FreeRunner
on my own before I start.

> Email a couple of other local mappers (use your profile page to find local
> mappers) and pick a date and place that works for at least two of you.
> Then promote that event, here, on meetup.com, upcoming.com and a cool
> Chicago technology site or something like that.

Yup. I'll do that.

> You'll have the chance to meet with other mappers, exchange ideas and
> mapping techniques and have a lot of fun.

Sure.

> For your Freerunner, make sure that you have the updated hardware so that
> your GPS does not interfere with the telephone operation.  See
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GPS_Problems

Thanks for the link.

> If you aren't sure where your profile page is:
> - www.openstreetmap.org
> - Login (top right)
> - Enter your api account name and password (not your wiki name and
> password) You have an API account and password if you have successfully
> edited map data with josm or potlatch.
> - Click your username at top right
> - See the home location you defined on the map as a red marker.  See other
> local mappers as green markers.  You can email them through the site.
Thanks. I already contacted some of them.

Happy Mapping
Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍